Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Embers in the sand [EVENT]

Nymara
    Nymara

Player 
    Lineage : Prodigy of Nyx
    Position : None
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : Akeya
    Experience : 21,875

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Fire Dragon Slayer Magic
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Embers in the sand [EVENT] - Page 2 Empty Re: Embers in the sand [EVENT]

Post by Nymara 23rd September 2021, 1:36 am

Nymara was sure not to say anything else as her mentor continued to inspect the strange object around her neck. It was an odd trinket to be sure, but the fire slayer had never really given it that much thought. Perhaps her natural shortsightedness was the reason for her usual indifference to the amulet. However the fact that Akemi seemed so interested made the redhead begin to wonder. It had been a while since she gave it much thought, but the object had been so insignificant in her daily life that it became nearly irrelevant. That is until situations like beach limbo remind Nymara that it still exists.

Before long Akemi seemed satisfied with her assessment and dropped interest, which signaled Nym to do the same. When she mentioned the noodle place her fanged grin grew wide "Oh yeah! I used to pass through Hargeon all the time when I was a solo wizard!" Nymara said cheerfully, walking up the beach and towards the town. "I also know where all the best bars and uh.. fighting rings are. If you're into that sort of thing." Nymara said with a slight laugh, hinting at her pastime hobby of bareknuckle boxing. "Just tell me when and we can come back here anytime to do a pub crawl!" She said happily. Truth be told Nym wasn't exactly sure if Akemi would ever take her up on that offer, seeing as the last time she tried to drink with the twilight dragon she stiffly refused. Oh well, if Akemi didn't wanna drink that would still be fine, she could just watch Nym down a pint at every stop.

Nymara's back stiffened slightly when the subject of payment came up. Slowly turning around to face her mentor, Nym blushed slightly, looking at her person. "hmm.. not sure if I have any jewel on me." she mumbled between Akemi's words. "Oh thank you! I- I'll earn some quick cash in one of the rings and pay you back later!" She said with a bow.

Eventually they made it to the noodle shop in question, which turned out to be right along a rocky cliff on the edge of town, overlooking the calm sea. "Haha! You're gonna love this place, they can give you as many noodles as you want!" She said with excitement. As they approached the chef within the window saw the vibrant red hair of the dragon slayer and panicked. His current stock would not be enough to satisfy this familiar customer. "So tell me, you like noodles?" Nym asked as she lifted herself up on the counter and reached over to grab a bottle underneath before pulling off the cap and taking a drink.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Embers in the sand [EVENT] - Page 2 2ohu3XJ

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Hic Sunt Dracones
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Fairy Tail (Ace)
    Mentor : Whedalsin
    Experience : 1,093,688

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Second Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Third Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic

Post by Akeya 26th September 2021, 7:27 am

Akemi rolled her eyes when Nymara mentioned the fighting rings. "I'm not unfamiliar with those places, but I wouldn't say that I spend a lot of time frequenting them." There was that time she had infiltrated an underground fighting ring to acquire a rare and priceless item, but that had been for an explicit purpose. Unlike her more passionate apprentice Akemi didn't often fight for the sheer joy of fighting. "Given that I don't drink you'd have to make sure to find pubs which also offer good food." Well, she didn't drink on a regular basis, anyway. Not like she was allergic to alcohol.

"That aside, for how long did you act as a solo mage before you decided to join Fairy Tail? You don't look like you've got that many years as an adult on you." Granted, if she was raised by Vulcanis there was a good chance that the dragon would just have allowed her to wander off as a child. Dragons matured at a slower rate than most mortal races, so in theory they should be more hesitant to let hatchlings wander off, but at the same time Vulcanis wasn't known to be the most thoughtful of dragons.

She caught Nymara's mumbling, the golden-eyed woman raising an eyebrow at her apprentice. "You don't necessarily have to, since it's normal for the mentor to pay for the apprentice's food, but in the future it would be a good idea to make sure you've always got some jewels on you. Trade is the lifeblood of civilization, so unless you're planning to camp out in the middle of nowhere currency is always useful to have." She had to resist the urge to snort as she thought of how dragons were depicted as greedy.

As they reached the noodle stand Nymara was so enthusiastic about Akemi took note of the location. The owner certainly managed to get a good spot: the view here was much better than if it was somewhere in the middle of the city, where you'd only have pavement and buildings to look at. "So I see." This remark came out rather dryly, as the raven-haired mage had noticed that the stall owner was rather concerned by the arrival of the redhead. Given that dragon slayers tended to have a voracious appetite to fuel their powerful magic it wasn't exactly a surprise.

Following Nymara, Akemi found herself a place to sit, then when she saw her apprentice reach over the counter she gave the redhead just enough time to grab a bottle before grabbing her by the shoulder and pulling her into the seat next to her. "I do. They're both versatile in taste and fill your stomach nicely." Luckily the shop owner seemed to be familiar with Nymara's antics, so Akemi wouldn't have to deal with him being all huffy. Ordering some shio ramen for herself she looked back at Nymara. "That said, are you going to drink yourself into a stupor at a noodle shop?"

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Embers in the sand [EVENT] - Page 2 Akeya2
    Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 6th October 2021, 2:16 pm

It was clear by this point that Akemi didn't exactly favour drinking as much as Nymara, but evidently that wasn't enough for the twilight dragon to turn her down outright. "I only pick the places with the best!" She responded with a toothy grin to Akemi's comment about the food served at the arenas that Nymara frequented. When the subject of Nymara's past came up her attitude changed slightly, turning to face her mentor with a more serious expression. Understandably Akemi was interested in learning more about the fire dragon slayer's history, as aside from mentioning she was raised by Vulcanis, there wasn't a lot else Nym could remember telling her mentor. "Hmmm.. Well I think was 17 when Vulcanis disappeared.." She said, trailing off slightly as she tried to remember. "Before I joined the guild I was on my own for about two years, traveling the kingdom." She said, a small look of pride flashed across her face as remembering that somehow gave her a sense of accomplishment. "Wasn't an easy life, but it had its moments." Nymara said with a light laugh, remembering some of her more "interesting" adventures during her time as a solo wizard.

"And what about you, my mysterious friend? I don't suppose you have anything about your past you're willing to part with?" Nymara asked with a smile, genuinely curious. Even though the dragon slayer knew the chances were slim that Akemi would say anything about it, she figured it was worth a shot. After all, there was still A LOT Nymara didn't know about her more experienced trainer. Perhaps that was just part of the gig... See and experience as much as she did and you may not be eager to relive it either. Nymara was still rather young, both for a human and dragon standards, so there was a lot she had yet to endure.

"Camping isn't so bad! I did it all the time." Nym retorted in response to her mentor's lesson about keeping some jewel on you. After the pair had arrived at the noodle shop Nymara felt the hand of her mentor forcefully pull her into the seat next to her just as she grabbed her bottle, making a mental note not to try that around Akemi again. "Hey, it's carbs innit? this is the best time to drink!" She said with a grin before turning towards the kitchen. "Oi Yazuki I'll get my usual, EXTRA SPICY!" She called out as the chef had already begun making it in a panicked state. "Ehehehh. Yazuki's great, one of my best friends, we go way back." She said with a smile to Akemi. "I would not consider burning down half of my establishment to constitute as "friendship" Miss Nym." An older gentlemen dressed in chef wear grunted as he placed down a large bowl of noodles in front of the girl. "Pffft.. I paid you back for that didn't I? Also blame the Wyvern, I was just doing my civil duty." Nym said as she began digging into her noodles without a care in the world. The man simply rolled his eyes at Nym's response before turning to Akemi. "Don't think I've seen you here before, did the firecracker finally find a friend?" He asked, cautiously eyeing the woman. "Want some noodles?"

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 8th October 2021, 7:07 pm

It looked like even the ever-passionate Nymara couldn't ignore the gravity of her own past when she was called upon to recollect it. Still, maybe it contained useful information, so Akemi listened attentively. "Travelling the kingdom, and getting into trouble most likely." She commented dryly. Given the redhead's own admission that she liked to visit places where you could fight for money, combined with her tendency to use her magic in a rather destructive manner, and the dark claw mage was pretty confident in assuming that those two years had been filled with various mishaps as a result of Nymara's reckless approach to life.

She gave a small shake of the head when Nymara tried to ask her about her past. "Not really, no." Her reply was curt and without further elaboration. The raven-haired woman was in no rush to tell her life story, if only because she'd have to constantly think about which parts should be left out or not. Even if Nymara was her apprentice she hadn't managed to earn enough of Akemi's trust yet that the assassin would freely talk about information which was either classified, detrimental to herself, or both. Information was the most valuable resource, after all.

"The only thing you need to know is that I know a lot about what it means to be a dragon slayer, and am willing to share that knowledge with you. Including some stuff which you might find rather important." It seemed that Nymara had understood the message, as she didn't try to climb over the counter again. "Most people would save it for after." However Akemi didn't actually do anything to stop Nymara if the fire slayer decided to start chugging alcohol away before their food had even arrived. Instead she just listened to the exchange between Nymara and the shop owner, who continued to not be quite as happy about their presence as Nymara's enthusiasm might require. "I'm her mentor. I'll be trying to teach her not to burn down shops in the future." The man seemed appreciative of that at least.

"I'll have some shrimp noodles." "Got it, Miss." Yazuki quickly got to work, still eyeing the two somewhat warily but seemingly not quite as worried that his shop would be wrecked as before.

Akemi ignored the shop owner's worried glances and instead looked at Nymara. "Now, tell me about that wyvern that made you burn this shop down." Yazuki winced but kept working. "It's customary for the guild to help pay for repairs if a dangerous mission results in collateral damage. After all, when the situation is dire we can't have guild members risking their own lives and that of others out of concern that they'll destroy something valuable."

She paused for a moment as Yazuki brought her bowl. She gave him a quick nod and a curt thanks before continuing. "That said, if a member is known to make it a habit of fighting recklessly and causing a lot of collateral damage the guild won't be as quick to help you pay. For obvious reason." Fire magic was innately destructive, but she would teach Nymara some measure of control.

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 26th October 2021, 4:00 pm

Unsurprisingly Nymara's raven haired mentor had nothing to say about her own saga, which resulted in a defeated sigh from the dragon slayer. Though she had expected a response along the lines like this, that didn't make it any less disappointing. With the amount of power and control that Nymara had seen Akemi wield, she could tell that the twilight dragon certainly had some interesting experiences in her life. One day Nymara hoped she could hear more about it. Though understanding enough about her mentor by this point, the redhead knew better than to press her sense of curiosity. What she said next caused Nym to arch her eyebrow however, mentioning that she knew a lot about what it meant to be a dragon slayer. Cryptic words, considering Vulcanis had never really elaborated on his reasons for teaching her dragon slayer magic in the first place. "Important, eh? I'm all ears!" She said with a whimsical tone as she took another drink from her bottle.

Nymara had missed the brief exchange between Yazuki and Akemi, as she was already hard at work devouring her noodle bowl. Though when Akemi mentioned the wyvern again she tensed up slightly before taking another drink. "Eheheh... Well uh.." She started rather nervously after Akemi had spoken about how the guild made a point to pay back for the damages its members caused. When she took an obvious jab at the fire slayer Nym put down her chopsticks and flared somewhat. "Hey, I already said I paid him back, right? Didn't need a guild's money back then." Nym said in her own defense. "As for the beast well, an ocean wyvern was getting too close to town and terrorizing fishing boats, I took the job take him down!" She said with a cheerful smile, her regular confidence quickly returning. "Right down into my shop, don't forget." Yazuki was quick to remind her as he stood behind the counter with his arms crossed. "The fire wizard thought it would have been a good idea to use the smells from my shop to lure the beast to the edge of town. Of course she didn't think about what she was going to do once it got here." He continued, some obvious personal spite in his tone in Nymara's direction. In response Nym threw up her arms defensively. "Hey! How was I supposed to know it would ignore me and go straight for the shrimp?" She said with a slight laugh, still remembering the experience. Yazuki's silent cold stare told Nym he didn't share her enthusiasm. "A- And may I remind you WHO saved your ass from the burning building?"
    "The building that was burning because of you. Ocean wyvern's after all don't have any fire attacks."
    "Point being I stopped the big lizard and saved an amazing noodle chef in one day! I'd call that a success!" She said, picking up her choptsicks again and continuing her meal. Yazuki simply sighed before turning back to Akemi.

"Don't worry, I'll certainly make sure the guild gets the bill next time this one has any more "brilliant" plans."

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 1st November 2021, 1:59 pm

Akemi shook her head when Nymara voiced herself willing to listen to what the dark claw mage had to say. "I didn't mean right now. There's a time and a place for such conversations." And even if she was willing to talk to Nymara about the nature of being a dragon slayer, she wasn't going to do it out here in the open where outsiders might be able to overhear. Such as the stall owner who was less than happy with the fire slayer.

Unsurprisingly, her apprentice wasn't quite as eager to talk about her experience with the wyvern when the man she supposedly saved was here to point out all the parts of the story which were less than stellar. As the two of them regaled her the story, Yazuki quick to fill in the gaps, Akemi herself enjoyed the bowl of noodles the stall owner had brought her, although her golden eyes remained focused on both of her companions as they went back and forth. When it came to the part where Yazuki revealed the wyvern was of an aquatic nature and couldn't even produce the flames Nymara claimed she'd saved the stall from she couldn't help but let out a small snort of amusement.

At the end of the story Akemi remained silent for a bit longer as she continued eating her noodles, eyes solidly on Nymara as she subjected the other slayer to her piercing gaze. Only after at least a minute had passed did she finally lower the bowl to speak. "It's good that you managed to defeat the wyvern, but you'll have to learn to think ahead." Her gaze shifted to Yazuki and she gave him a quick nod. "Good. I'm planning to teach her a lot, and it'll be important to know if she can't learn as quickly as she should."

She didn't think Nymara needed any more pressure to realize that her mentor wasn't about to just let her keep making a mess of things like that. Yazuki certainly was somewhat intimidated by Akemi's gaze, even if he wasn't the main target. With the both of them having been served their food he quickly turned his attention to his own side of the counter, leaving the two of them to talk.

"Next time, don't try to leave out details." Akemi continued. "If I notice that you make a habit of retelling your jobs while holding back anything you don't want me to know I'll just have to find out the whole story myself, and I won't be happy at the amount of time I'll be wasting on that." Despite having eaten at a deceptively calm pace her bowl was already empty, and she placed it down as she called out to Yazuki. "Another, please."

"Y-Yes! Right away!" Yazuki quickly got to work preparing Akemi's next bowl. The raven-haired woman straightened up and rolled her shoulders to get some tension out of them. "But enough about that. At the end you did manage to defeat a wyvern by yourself, which is no mean feat considering your abilities when you just arrived at the guild." She looked at Nymara once more. "It does make me wonder though: did Vulcanis say anything about what you should do if you were to meet any other dragons? I'm not expecting any specific answer: dragons are as varied as humans, if not more so, and those dragons who decide to teach a human slayer magic have also done so for various reasons."

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 7th April 2022, 3:47 pm

The longer Nymara sat there recounting old tales, a broader picture was being painted to display just how the firebrand thought. Of course all of this had become painfully obvious to Akemi, as she silently listened to the exchange between Nym and Yazuki. Throughout most of her combat experiences she had held true to one simple rule. Hit em fast and hard! After all, that was the way she was taught to use her magic to begin with. Granted who knows what other skills she would have learned if it weren't for her parent's untimely disappearance. Vulcanis was after all an incredibly powerful being, even among other dragons. He was ancient, some theorize as old as the ground itself. With his experience and knowledge, the potential of his student could only be guessed at. Of course, that would have been the case had Nymara not become separated from him. Instead she was left with the basics of an extremely destructive magic but little else. Thankfully someone else noticed, otherwise the redhead would still be blazing a trail across the kingdom.

When the Twilight Dragon finally spoke up once more Nymara could feel her body tense up at her calm, yet very clear threat. Nymara was learning quite quickly how Akemi's teaching methods would effect her. The differences between Akemi and the Magma Dragon were too many to count, so the switch could take some getting used to. When her raven haired mentor finished eating and ordered another, Nym swallowed the nervous lump in her throat before taking another drink from her bottle. "Ehehe... R-Right! Just figured you wanted the fun version.." She responded, Akemi's subtlety thankfully not lost on Nymara yet.

Soon the conversation shifted back to the subject of her parent, to which Nym got noticeably less tense. Understandably Akemi would be keen to know everything that Vulcanis had taught his daughter. When she asked what his instructions were on meeting other dragons the girl looked off for a moment, thinking for an answer. "Well, he seemed very reclusive." She started, thinking back on how the Magma Drake tended to stay put in his lava fields. That fact made his vanishing only stranger, something Nymara hadn't forgotten. "He rarely spoke of the other dragons. Only when I asked him about it. But even then he seemed somewhat distant on the subject." She said again, thinking back on the old conversations between her and the dragon. "Though he warned me Dragons were no different than people. And like people, dragons were privy to the same emotions that corrupted and turned them from their purpose." She finished, it being obvious that Nymara didn't exactly find what he said very reassuring. "Of course he failed to mention that other dragons also took students of their own! HA! What was the point in that, I wonder?"

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 12th April 2022, 5:36 am

It seemed like Nymara was taking Akemi's threat seriously, which was good, since the dark claw assassin would be unhappy if she actually had to hunt down the truth behind Nymara's story on a regular basis. She was all in favour of manipulating the flow of information to optimise outcomes, but only when it worked in her favour: if people were trying to hide information from her it quickly got on her nerves, especially if that information turned out to actually be valuable. "It's more important that the stories are complete so I can get a full picture." What she didn't say out loud was that watching Nymara squirm as she explained all her mistakes could also be considered fun. She didn't want the redhead to go around thinking that Akemi was looking forward to watching her fail.

Nymara's recollection of Vulcanis was more interesting, however. Akemi had met the ancient fire dragon before, and as her apprentice correctly noted, he hadn't been the most social of people. Not an uncommon trait amongst dragons: they didn't rely on group effort to survive, so especially the stronger individuals would usually just find themselves some territory and stay inside of it, only leaving it if something truly unusual happened and driving away any potential competitors. "It's possible that most others don't interest him much." She noted. She quietly ate her noodles for the rest of the explanation, only speaking up once Nymara was done talking.

"He's not wrong that dragons can be influenced by emotions the same way other people do. Although I wouldn't know what he means by purpose." She snorted at the thought. "Does he believe that we all exist with some goal in mind?" The idea that everyone was just a puppet fated to play out their role in the grand schemes of destiny was not one she believed in, and she didn't have a high opinion of those that believed in it either. "There may be entities who see humans, dragons, and others are mere pawns, but I wouldn't consider turning away from that fate corruption."

She gave a quick shake of her head. "As for why dragons would take on students, I wouldn't be able to say. Maybe they owe a debt, maybe it's merely an experiment for them. They don't have to worry about age the way other creatures do, and as mentioned before, they don't need to rely on groups to survive except perhaps against great threats. It could be nothing more than boredom." Akemi's true self may be quite happy refining her abilities and acquiring knowledge, but living for such a long time could cause dragons to adopt much lower requirements to become interested in something and dedicate time to it. Wasting fifty years on the perfect wood carving was much less of a sacrifice when you could easily live for thousands of years.

"Well, no matter. At least his advice that dragons are as varied as other people you might meet was valid. You should keep that in mind." Akemi finished her bowl and quickly ordered a third before continuing. "More important than that... While you're making progress, your fire is unusually wild and uncontrolled even when compared to that of fire dragons. Do you know why that is?" Vulcanis was a magma dragon, which made it even stranger that Nymara's fire was so different. The flames produced by fire dragons was powerful and destructive, but Nymara's flames almost seemed to be beyond her ability to control them. If Vulcanis was such a poor teacher Akemi was going to have some sharp words for him next time they met, given how much more difficult he'd made mentoring Nymara. The fire slayer was certainly enthusiastic, but being able to control and restrain her own fire was vital for her to become stronger and more competent.

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 18th April 2022, 12:39 am

As the conversation continued on, even well after the pair’s second helping of noodles, Nymara was being given more and more to think about. It had felt so strange to open up this much about her history with the magma dragon, as for so long it had never really become relevant. Until she met Akemi, nobody she had encountered had even heard the name Vulcanis. Her heart sank when she thought back to those dark years by herself. No matter what had happened to the ancient dragon, Nymara was convinced it wasn’t on purpose. At least, there was Nymara’s wishful thinking anyways. But as she spoke more with the mysterious dragon slayer next to her, Nymara was understanding more about their nature. What an odd stroke of luck, deciding to join this guild on a whim. ”Ha! He would dismiss them almost every time I asked!” Nym laughed, reminiscing on her childhood years within that volcano lair. “Oh what does a little human know of other dragons? She should focus on the one in front of her! Such concerns are too large for one so small!” Nymara continued, putting on a rather bad impression of her dragon parent. Scarfing down more noodles Nymara grinned. “Would love to see him call me small now!” She yelled, retaining her fanged smile.

When the subject shifted to the magma dragon’s philosophy, Nymara simply shrugged.”I honestly had no idea what the old man was talking about half the time either! Though he was also prone to mumbling so who can say?” She continued, clearly not giving too much thought on the subject. Vulcanis was at least somewhat noble, at least to the extent that he taught his human daughter the difference between right and wrong. Of course Nymara had only witnessed a tiny fraction of the dragon’s lifespan, so who knows what deeds the magma dragon could have been responsible for in the past. Even so, the dragon could see the difference between the good and the bad and had apparently chosen a side.

What peaked Nymara’s interest more though was the topic of other dragon students. With how little Vulcanis had told her of other dragons, she didn’t even know some of them took on people like herself. Of course this thinking raised more questions in Nymara’s mind, specifically about Akemi. Having already been walled off at every attempt to learn about the woman’s background, the firebrand knew better than to ask the burning obvious question. Who trained her? Why? Akemi listed off several possible reasons as to why dragons may pass on their knowledge, and Nymara wondered which one applied to the raven haired woman. “I hope that isn’t why he left too, because he got bored?” She mused aloud, a fleeting thought that vanished as Nym had acquired another bottle and began to drink. Quite heavier than usual.

Only when Akemi finished questioning Nym about her unusually wild fire the girl put down the empty bottle. Wiping her lip with her sleeve, Nymara smiled.”None! That salty old bastard had so many secrets, but even I’m smart enough to know my fire has never been lava. All he said was “Magma is death to the foolish.”” She grumbled, still feeling the sting of that veiled insult, even when she was only a child. Though could her fire be considered much safer? It was clear even to Akemi her fire was much wilder beyond your typical flame dragon. The only hint she had about her own case was some off comment she remembered the magma dragon make about observing the magic from another. ”He only said one other had fire as wild as mine.”

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 18th April 2022, 2:09 pm

Akemi nodded as Nymara proclaimed that Vulcanis had shown no interest in other dragons despite her having asked about them several times. The magma dragon had never been the most thoughtful: his own age and destructive power meant that he kept to himself and didn't concern himself with outsiders unless they intruded on his territory. The fact that he'd been willing to take Nymara in was, frankly, a curiosity in and of itself. "Given that true dragons are, by their very nature, powerful, it's no surprise that they often develop a rather high opinion of themselves. Usually they still respect other dragons as a credible threat, but it sounds like your foster parent found even other dragons worth little thought." The redhead's imitation made Akemi focus a bit more on her noodles, so as to not grimace. It was entertaining, in a way, but it was also really bad. Although she did snort when Nymara commented about her being small. "Compared to a dragon you'd still be very small, so I doubt it would change much."

She tilted her head for a moment, then sighed and dismissed the topic as Nymara stated that she didn't know enough about how Vulcanis looked at the world to comment much further on his thoughts. Not that it was very important right now: wherever Vulcanis was right now, her focus was on Nymara.

Hmmm... Why would Vulcanis have disappeared? It was a good question, and one that Akemi didn't know the answer to. It must have been one that had gone through Nymara's head many times over the years: even for dragons, parents held some importance. And Nymara was a human, so for her, it would be even more important even if she wasn't Vulcanis's child by blood. Akemi stopped eating her noodles for a moment as she considered the question herself. She wouldn't be able to provide a concrete answer considering the lack of evidence, but she could at least hazard a guess. "It's hard to say, but it's unlikely boredom would have resulted in as abrupt a departure as you described." She noted that Nymara was drinking more heavily than before, but refrained from commenting on it. "As already established, he has little to do with others, so it's unlikely he took you in on a mere whim. Whatever caused his departure must have been more pressing than mere boredom." She resumed her meal. "However, the only way to learn the truth is to keep searching for it."

Nymara should benefit from either reuniting with her foster parent or finding closure in his permanent departure. Not knowing the how and the why was more likely to haunt her psyche. That, and Akemi herself also wished to know what happened to Vulcanis: as much of a fool as he was, he was still powerful, so if something had managed to either eliminate him or force him to leave Nymara behind without any warning that was something worth gathering more intel on.

The fact that she might also punch him in the face if she ever saw him again was just a bonus.

"I'd have been very concerned if you thought your fire was lava." She replied dryly. There was no possible way to mistake Nymara's flames for molten stone, no matter how much one tried to pretend that the fire flowed like a liquid. Which it didn't even do, in Nymara's case: her fire was much less controlled in its movements, almost like it was constantly exploding in every direction. What was more important was Nymara's last sentence. "One other with flames as wild as yours... Another dragon?" From what she could tell Nymara was a human through and through (well, as human as someone who'd already learned how to use dragon magic could be), so it wasn't like she could have accidentally picked up her fire magic from another dragon... Strange.

Akemi's fingers drummed on the counter of the noodle stand as she went through her mental archives. A dragon with particularly wild flames... Fire dragons were known for their fierce and passionate attitude. However, as noted before, Nymara's fire was so wild that it was absurd, so even most fire dragons would have their magic manifest in a more controlled blaze...

"If it's another dragon I might be able to find out which one. It'll have to wait until we're back at the guild, however, unless Vulcanis provided any more details." There was something at the back of her mind, but it refused to solidify. It remained as a nagging feeling that she should know who Vulcanis was talking about, making Akemi frown thoughtfully. "If we can find out who Vulcanis was talking about we can use them to figure out how you're supposed to best channel your flames. As it stands your style is simply too rough."

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 27th April 2022, 11:41 am

Well, if there was one thing Nymara and Akemi both seemed to know it was Vulcanis' dismissive attitude to his own kin. It was reassuring to have another opinion on the old drake's behavior though, especially from one so knowledgeable on the subject of dragons. The more Nymara spoke with Akemi the more she was convinced she was going to teach her everything Vulcanis hadn't. Thank whatever gods ruled this world, because the fire slayer had started to worry her powers were stagnating. At least before she had joined the guild anyways. Sure she had the firepower to solve most problems she came across, but since her training with the twilight dragon began, she had started to realize there was so much more she could be doing with her magic. The potential had never been more clearer to Nym before, so that was why she was determined to study under Akemi as long as she'd be willing to teach. "Well my fist won't feel small that's for sure." She continued to grumble in response to her mentor's apparent lack of confidence. Despite the sinister tone lining her words, it was clear Nymara wasn't directing her attitude towards Akemi. She may not speak about it often, but Nym kept some reserved feelings for Vulcanis. When she had realized he was gone the sadness and fear were at the forefront of her thoughts, but what soon followed was the confusion and anger. Nymara spent many nights on her own, looking at the sky and wondering if her fury at the dragon was justified. Yet with so many unknowns it was impossible to tell. That was probably the worst part of the whole situation for Nym. The fact she had no idea what caused him to vanish in the first place. She may never know if the magma dragon abandoned her on purpose, or something other called him off.

Her interest picked up a bit more when Akemi started to work out the facts, even if she was just speaking her mind about what they already knew. Though her excitement quickly diminished when her mentor finished, stating that they’d just need to keep looking for more answers. Nymara should have expected as much anyways, it was unfair for her to assume that the twilight dragon would already hold some of the clues or answers. Akemi was very smart, at least from what Nymara could tell. Yet even the wisest cannot be omnipresent, and Earthland was still filled with many mysteries that had yet to be solved. The fire dragon was just annoyed that her father happened to be one of them.

“Oh I will.” Nymara responded, gazing down at her empty bowl with a brief, soft expression. Whether this was due to the girl thinking about her lost parent or her lack of noodles, who could say? It didn’t last long though, as she quickly shook the feeling off and barked for another order of ramen.

The conversation continued, and much to the girl’s surprise, Akemi seemed very interested in the seemingly throwaway comment Vulcanis had made to her once. Another dragon with fire like hers? Nymara supposed it was possible, after all most dragon slayers got their magic from a dragon originally, so what else could have been the source for her wildfire? Of course the most obvious point about this case though was that Vulcanis was not your typical fire dragon, but one that controlled the tides of magma. He was clearly capable of teaching others fire magic, but the twilight dragon’s point was clear. Her fire was clearly not that of a normal fire dragon, but who it originally belonged too was anyone’s guess. “You really think so? I had almost forgotten about the subject entirely! With his little talk of the other dragons, I never really thought about it too much.” She said truthfully when Akemi mused about the fact her fire originated from another drake. Of course, that just opened up more questions. Who was the possible mystery dragon? And why would Vulcanis choose to teach her this specific type of magic rather than just to control normal flames? After all, Nymara knew that Vulcanis wasn’t incapable of “regular” fire dragon magic. He may have preferred the lakes of lava, but Nym had seen him on many occasions make use of just regular fire. The more they talked the more Nymara’s brain struggled to keep up with all the new questions popping into her mind.

It seemed Akemi was equally stumped, as Nymara had noticed the look of intense thinking on her mentor’s face. Still, Nymara awaited whatever response she had with excitement. It was clear that the twilight dragon may know something she didn’t. When asked about other details Nymara thought for a moment but soon shrugged. “Nothing really comes to mind… The subject about my fire never really came up. Growing up I always assumed it was just normal because… Well fire burns a lot of things, right?” She said with a nervous laugh. Akemi seemed convinced another dragon was behind this, which made Nymara feel excited when her mentor spoke about the possibility of them meeting and learning from them. "I- If I could find the original source of my fire? And they could be another dragon too!?” It became too difficult for Nym to contain her rising excitement as she slammed her hand on the counter. “I- have never met another dragon! A- Are you sure they’d *want* to talk to us?” She continued. While Nymara was all aboard looking for more dragons, she couldn’t help but wonder if they were all friendly. If what Vulcanis had said was true, then that simply wasn’t the case.

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 7th May 2022, 1:41 pm

Akemi blinked as Nymara muttered something about how her fist wouldn't feel small. The firebrand was inclined to have a high opinion of her own ability, that was definitely true, but this sounded like Nymara wished to attack Vulcanis. Not entirely unreasonable, given that she had been effectively abandoned by the volcanic dragon without any explanation as to why, but given Nymara's upbeat attitude and trusting nature she would have assumed that the redhead didn't hold it against Vulcanis and instead believed something important must have happened that forced the magma dragon away. "Maybe, but keep in mind that something doesn't have to be big to be powerful." The raven-haired assassin looked around, then pointed at a knife that Yazuki used to chop up ingredients that he added to some of the types of ramen that were on the menu. "When you use a sword or a dagger to strike, you put a lot of force behind a small area. This allows it to pierce things that something bigger, like a hammer, has to crush completely before it can pass through. That's one of the reasons why it's important for you to learn how to control your flames: if you can concentrate your firepower in a smaller area you can both limit your collateral damage and be more effective towards your actual target." Of course, sometimes something big was the better answer... Swords and spears might be better at piercing armour and body, but to keep that thin profile they also became more fragile. Sometimes a warhammer allowed you to put more power behind the attack than a greatsword would have been able to withstand.

However, they weren't currently training, so Akemi wouldn't bother Nymara too much about the tactical application of force. It seemed like her apprentice had accepted that she wouldn't just get her answers handed to her and would have to keep searching for them. That was good. There were many entities who were talented, but who also developed a mentality that they shouldn't have to put any effort into getting what they wanted. Akemi considered such entities quite shameful, and she was glad that Nymara wasn't among them. "Given that I'm quite curious about what happened to Vulcanis I'll try to look for him as well. I've got a thing or two to say to him about how he trained you." Powerful as he might be, Vulcanis had no excuse for being such a poor teacher. Even if his own power came naturally, as was often the case for dragons, he had lived long enough that he should have picked up some wisdom along the way.

It truly seemed like Nymara hadn't given much thought to the possibility that her fire came from another dragon. Not entirely surprising: being the daughter of one dragon was already enough for a human, to believe another dragon was involved would require a particularly suspicious mind. Fortunately, Akemi had such a mind. The assassin frowned in thought. "Fire does burn a lot, yes, but yours is particularly voracious. And it's definitely dragon magic, so unless your own nature managed to affect your fire dragon magic to the extent that it developed into a subcategory... If Vulcanis's specialty is magma and he didn't intentionally teach you wildfire it's not unrealistic to suspect another dragon to be involved somehow." She looked at Nymara, golden eyes slightly narrowed as she studied the girl. "However, as well-developed as you might be, I've yet to see any signs that you have any dragon blood in you." It was possible for people to have dragon blood in them. Even from the distant past such a lineage could affect one's abilities and talents. However, if Nymara was the descendant of a dragon there was little to no sign of it. For all intents and purposes she looked like a human who had learned dragon magic and was still in the stage where the dragonfication process was barely noticeable. If she had draconic ancestors it should have revealed itself somehow... unless her wildfire was the indication?

Her thoughts were interrupted when Nymara asked whether another dragon would even be willing to talk to them. Akemi got started on another bowl, answering between mouthfuls of noodles. "There are ways to make them talk. Dragons might not often be willing to talk to mortals of their own volition, but if you can trade them something that they value they can be quite reasonable." Akemi herself dealt with mortals because she found living amongst them more beneficial than holing herself up in a cave somewhere. Most dragons would require more prompting. "However, should it become necessary I won't necessarily give them a choice in the matter. As you're keenly aware, violence can be quite the effective solution to diplomatic difficulties."

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 20th May 2022, 12:12 pm

Despite Nymara's rather unusal shift in her tone when speaking about her former mentor, it was true the girl didn't harbour any real ill-will towards the dragon. At least not yet. The reasons for his vanishing were still a complete mystery, so Nymara had little right getting upset at the magma dragon over something that may not have even been his fault. Not that it mattered much now though, as Akemi had previously stated that none of the answers were just going to reveal themselves, and Nymara was going to have to do some more searching. Ah well, she had joined a guild and had started to become friends with some of its members. If this wasn't the perfect opportunity to help her search, she wasn't sure exactly what would constitute as such. After all, having the resources of a wizard guild was quite useful. Something Nymara didn't really figure out until after she had joined one. Not to mention the fact that Akemi had also been a member of the same guild. The dragoness herself seemed to be quite knowledgeable on the draconic front, so if anyone could help her track down her old guardian it would have been her. Nymara was sure to listen to Akemi's notes about her hypothetical combat scenario while downing another bottle, and figured she would have been correct in her assessment. "You're probably right." Nymara began. "Only so much raw power will get you." She said in a somewhat quieter tone, staring off for a moment. In her mind, the dragon slayer wondered exactly if it had helped Vulcanis before he vanished.

Nymara was relieved to know that Akemi was actually curious about the fate of the dragon though. It had been so long since anyone aside from herself showed any interest or care in the disappearance of the magma drake. Granted Akemi's reasons for finding out what happened to Vulcanis were likely different than Nymara's, but that much flew over the girl's head as she knew they both had a common goal in this case. "Y- You'd really do that? Oh please let me know if you find anything!" Nymara would say, her eyes brightening as Akemi stated she would put in some effort into finding him. Nymara had been searching for years now and had come up completely empty handed. Maybe with Akemi's skills and resources she could actually come across some leads. "I- I'll train extra hard and try not to disappoint you in the meantime!" Nymara blurted out after somewhat awkwardly, feeling inclined to show Akemi her gratitude in some way that went beyond just words, though the redhead didn't have much to offer.

Nymara continued to listen to her mentor speak about her own fire, getting more and more interested as the conversation went on. Thankfully she had met Akemi in this guild, or Nymara feared she would have lived her life in blissful ignorance! The way her raven haired mentor meticulously pointed out most of the small details involving her fire and how she got it, it more than proved to the young firebrand that the woman was certainly the right person for this job. Nymara would do her best to make the twilight dragon proud. It was the least she could do after all, with how invested Akemi seemed to be in Nymara's own problems. After all, as far as Nymara knew Akemi had no reason to take her under her wing, let alone help her find her lost parent. Sure the twilight dragon may have had a personal interest in the fact that they both used dragon magic, though that still put her under no obligation to do everything for Nymara that she had. The longer she thought about how much time Akemi was taking out of her life to both mentor and help Nymara with her personal problems made the redhead feel a little guilty. She would need to pay her mentor back in some way for everything.

"I uh... I don't feel like I have dragon blood?" Nymara responded with a confused tone as Akemi studied her. It was clear that the twilight dragon was trying to run her own theories about Nymara's magic, though the prospect of another dragon being involved did excite her somewhat. It also seemed to be what Akemi was leaning towards. Her mentor was also keen to let her know the different ways they could communicate with this mystery dragon as well. Some of which sounded more fun than others, that was for sure. Despite her title, Nymara had never fought or even killed an actual dragon before, disregarding the days Vulcanis would have Nymara use his scales as training dummies. The idea of actually getting into battle with a real dragon was exhilarating, but also terrifying. "Hehe, if they wanna shoot flames at us instead we got an answer for that!" Nymara stated somewhat confidently, despite the fact she was likely grossly underestimating the strength of an adult dragon.

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 22nd May 2022, 1:07 pm

It sounded like Nymara was realizing that she couldn't just rely on raw destructive power alone. Fire dragons had a habit of developing a mindset that as long as they just poured enough power into their attacks everything would work out. Akemi supposed that it had to do with the fact that their element truly was one of the most aggressive and destructive out there. The only elements more destructive than fire were rather esoteric and had a habit of messing with fundamentals which were better left alone. "I'm glad you understand. If you can complement your power with technique it drastically increases your capabilities." That was a rule of thumb that Akemi had always held herself to. While other people were only concerned with raising the amount of power they could put forth, she had refined her shadows until she could split hairs with her strikes.

She glanced sideways at Nymara as she noticed that the redhead seemed to still be a bit down about Vulcanis's appearance. That wasn't terribly surprising, given that the disappearance of a parental figure was rarely cause for celebration. The raven-haired assassin merely nodded when Nymara brightened up and expressed gratitude for Akemi's willingness to help her find the magma dragon. "Given that you've got even more reason to find him than I, it's only natural I'd keep you up to date." She did smile when Nymara apparently was willing to offer an increased enthusiasm for training in return for Akemi's assistance finding Vulcanis. She hadn't expected her apprentice to say something like that of her own volition. Of course, it wasn't like she had any complaints about Nymara's drive to get stronger, but she could be a bit hardheaded about improving herself in certain ways, forcing Akemi to be a bit harsher with guiding her to optimize her growth and help her realize her true potential. "I'd hope it wouldn't only be in the meantime, but don't worry: I'll make sure to let you know if I want something specific from you." She already had an idea for that, but now wasn't the time.

It was quite pleasant to have Nymara be so openly listening to everything she had to say. Having a bite with the firebrand seemed to be a good way to get her to slow down a little and actually pay attention to the world around her, instead of flying off at the first thing that interested her. Not that Nymara had no attention span, but she wasn't as interested in the mysteries and intricacies of the world as Akemi herself. The raven-haired assassin finished her bowl of noodles once more, shaking her head as Nymara expressed some doubt about her having dragon blood. "I don't think you do either. Which makes it more likely that a wildfire dragon was somehow involved in your training." She frowned. "We can try to find out by ourselves, but it might be that finding Vulcanis first would be more effective. Thoughtless as he might be, he should have some idea why your magic manifests the way it does." It'd be easier to find one dragon than two, even if Akemi already had some ideas of which scrolls to consult to try and track down a dragon whose magic had properties similar to those of Nymara.

Unsurprisingly, Nymara had a higher opinion of her ability to deal with a wildfire dragon attacking them. Akemi leaned back, having eaten as much as she wished to, raising an eyebrow at her optimistic apprentice. "The fact that you can eat their flames definitely would be a boon if we did have to force them into cooperating with us, but don't forget that they would also be able to eat your flames. And beyond that, a dragon's power goes beyond what element they can produce and control: you'll have to undergo a lot more training before you'll be able to stand your ground against one." She paused as another thought came to her. "Now that I think about it, even your ability to eat their flames might not be as useful." It wasn't an issue that often came up, but if Nymara were to face off against an actual dragon she might encounter a problem she had never experienced before.

"Tell me, what do you think would happen if you were faced with more flames than you could eat?" Dragons, and those who had their bodies modified by the usage of dragon magic, had a voracious appetite, but that didn't mean their stomach was limitless. Whether it was food or elemental magic, it was possible to overeat. A wildfire dragon could potentially bypass Nymara's defences against fire by simply overwhelming those defences.

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 29th July 2022, 10:42 pm

The late afternoon sun began to cast its reaching shadows across the noodle shop as the two girls continued to converse. Despite Yazuki's initial reservations about serving a particular voracious redhead, it seemed like the company of Akemi helped to curb some of the behavior he had known her for. Certainly cause for relief, though that didn't get rid of all of her bad habits. Nymara may have been preoccupied with her conversation with Akemi, though that didn't prevent her need to constantly consume all of his stock. At least this time she had brought a much more level-headed friend and not an angry wyvern. Slurping up the last of her noodles as Akemi spoke, Nymara was sure to keep careful attention to what her mentor had to say. After all, she hadn't met anyone else with this much knowledge on dragons so any help Akemi was willing to offer Nymara wouldn't hesitate to take. As the twilight dragon reaffirmed her intent to assist Nymara's search for her lost parent, the air grew noticeably hotter with Nymara's rising excitement. "Nobody else I've met has even HEARD of Vulcanis, you have no idea how much this means to me!" Nymara would say in a giddy tone, thanking her mentor yet again. Something Akemi would no doubt hear fairly often when it came to this subject, no matter how many times Nymara had already shown her gratitude previously. After what felt like an eternity, the young dragon felt a spark of hope in her search for the magma dragon. For too long had his trail been cold, but now Nymara may have a shot at finding something. At this point, the girl would be overjoyed by just finding some small clue. Who knows what information she could gain with Akemi's help?

Another steaming bowl of ramen slid across the countertop just as Akemi began to explain her theories on the origins of Nymara's unusual fire. As smart as Akemi was though, it seemed even she didn't fully know what the exact cause was. Unfortunately as previously demonstrated Nymara felt herself of little help in that regard. After all, the dragon slayer wasn't even aware her fire was so different from the norm before meeting Akemi. Of course, Nymara wasn't completely oblivious to her flame's destructive nature but had always assumed it was due to the draconic nature of her magic. Nevertheless, Akemi certainly had some interesting ideas about the root cause and they excited the firebrand greatly! "I can't believe he'd keep that a secret from me! I would have loved to meet another dragon someday!" She beamed with enthusiasm, obviously latching onto Akemi's ideas as if they were proven facts by this point, though the redhead was eager to take all the answers she could. "I wonder what a uh.. Wildfire dragon would look like!" Nymara would continue, her eyes darting upwards as if she was lost in thought. "You think red? Maybe orange? OOOOoo probably have some yellow too!" She'd snicker, imagining all sorts of color combos. When Akemi noted that they likely wouldn't get any answers before finding Vulcanis Nym looked back at her again. "Oh trust me we'll find him!" She proclaimed with newfound confidence, a smirk across her face. For the first time in a while, she had felt this way in her search for her father. "And when we do that ol' lava rock is gonna tell us everything!"

The scent of her noodles quickly diverted the girl's attention once more as she realized it was still there! Eagerly continuing she listened to Akemi's assessment about her chances against an actual dragon. Arching an eyebrow Nymara slurped up her ramen before speaking up. "That's why I got you! You know a ton of stuff about dragons! " Nymara would remark in response to Akemi's comment about her needing more training. "I'm sure you know everything there is to know about dragon slaying!" The girl would say with a chuckle, though her words were only a half-truth. Given how secretive Akemi was even her apprentice had trouble figuring out what experiences her mentor was teaching from. Of course, Nymara did not doubt her in the slightest, as the twilight dragon had more than earned Nymara's respect and admiration, despite the relatively short time they had known each other. However much Akemi warned though Nymara didn't know if she could resist the opportunity to fight a real dragon! Ever since she was a little girl Vulcanis had told her the magic she used had the potential to fell the great lizards of the sky! Nymara had no personal grudge against dragons, it was actually quite the opposite. Still, she had always thought about testing that claim! And Nymara knew for a fact that a dragon would likely provide her far more entertainment in battle than most of the cronies she had fought thus far! At least that was what she had always thought, though it seemed Akemi may have given some pause to that way of thinking with her next question.  

"When I overheat???!" Nymara blurted as if remembering something that had long been forgotten in her psyche. Truthfully Nymara may already have had an answer to her mentor's question. Much of her training with Vulcanis revolved around staying alive near overwhelming heat and flame. Training her lungs and her appetite for fire at the same time, though the magma dragon had been keen to teach the little girl the dangers of consuming too much for a vessel too small. "Aha! S- Sorry! That's just what Vulcanis called it." Nym would continue, coming to realize her outburst must've come across a bit odd. Though it was understandable if you knew the consequences of overreaching with dragon-slaying magic. It certainly was not a pleasant experience. "Ehehe.. When I was younger he'd test my strength by seeing what I could handle." She'd say. " Th- Though he'd always make sure I was fine! He tried to warn me not to go overboard. The magma head was harsh but not cruel." She'd say with a somewhat somber-looking smile for a moment, but it passed quickly. "I felt my insides light on fire and my strength was overwhelmed by sapping heat! It was the first time in my life I was powerless.." The girl would continue, obviously disturbed by the experience. "I wonder if dragons can feel the same?" She'd wonder aloud, thinking about possible battle strategies against the lizards!

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 8th August 2022, 3:13 am

Nymara clearly was appreciating the idea that Akemi would help her track down Vulcanis, and Akemi could imagine why. Vulcanis was the one who had raised the firebrand, so his sudden disappearance must have caused her a lot of grief. The opportunity to meet her foster parent once again must be one of the redhead's biggest wishes. Given that Akemi was her mentor now it only stood to reason she'd try to help find the magma dragon, even if Akemi also had her own motives for figuring out where Vulcanis was. While she didn't care for his attitude he was certainly powerful, and he'd lived long enough that he knew a couple of things despite not being as interested in knowledge as Akemi was. While Akemi never really dwelled on it, compared to most dragons she was ridiculously young, and the only reason she wasn't completely outclassed was that she had a ravenous appetite for knowledge and had worked herself to the bone to refine her abilities and skills. Even then, Vulcanis might be powerful enough that she still had to be careful around him...

"Just keep in mind that we haven't actually found him yet. We'll need to gather a lot of information before we can start forming theories for where he might currently be."

Akemi cautioned Nymara to not get too excited yet, because even if she appreciated the knowledge that Akemi would be helping her that help would only become useful once they actually found the magma dragon. Before that point, it was nothing more than an agreement from the mentor to help out her apprentice.

She suppressed a snort when Nymara expressed a desire to meet another dragon besides Vulcanis. Instead, she shrugged. "He probably had his reasons. Or maybe I'm wrong and there was no wildfire dragon involved, although I think it's likely enough that it's worth searching for any wildfire dragons on the continent. As for how they look like..." She shrugged. "I'd guess they're permanently on fire." Wildfire was so energetic and lively that for a dragon with that element it'd probably be pouring out of their body all the time. How much control they had over their fire was also a question: just because one was a dragon didn't mean they had perfect control over their powers, after all, and wildfire was notoriously problemetic in that regard. "Depending on the individual and the element, a dragon's own body can be made out of said element. Earth and stone dragons commonly have bodies made out of dirt and rock, but fire dragons can be partially or completely made out of fire. As you can imagine, it does make physical contact difficult at times."

While Nymara was showcasing her confidence that they'd be able to find Vulcanis together Akemi frowned in thought. How to find either dragon? Once they were back at the guild she'd have to ask Nymara to describe the location of Vulcanis's disappearance as best as possible so she could investigate it. Beyond that she'd have to check news sources from the date of Vulcanis's disappearance to see if any of them referenced the vulcanic dragon. Given Vulcanis's strength it might also be possible to track him by vulcanic activity... she'd have to go through a lot of data, and she somewhat doubted that Nymara would have the attention span to help.

"There's always more to learn, but I know enough that I can at least prepare you for meeting another fire dragon." Having finished her meal, Akemi rubbed her chin as she kept thinking even while conversing with the redhead who clearly wasn't done eating yet. "I'll have to adapt your training to specialize in dealing with hostile fire entities if we're going to focus on finding either Vulcanis or a wildfire dragon. It's also a good idea to be prepared to deal with creatures who use your own element, especially those who can resist it." One of the greatest downsides of dealing with dragons was that if they shared your element you could end up in a stalemate where you both just ended up feeding one another. She'd have to teach Nymara how to work around that, although she doubted that the firebrand would appreciate having to train how not to rely on her flames.

She blinked at Nymara's outburst, although her apprentice quickly explained that she'd experienced the consequences of overheating before thanks to Vulcanis's teachings. It seemed the vulcanic dragon had been thorough in that regard. "I see. I'm glad he was thoughtful enough to make sure you experienced that at least once. It can be very distressing to feel your own element actually work against you, so it's better to learn it during training." In a way it was worse than being hit by an incompatible element, although Akemi personally had found the experience of eating light as a dark dragon the worst. Her body had come close to actually breaking down as a consequence, and it had been a good lesson regarding the consequences of recklessness.

"It's the same for dragons, but I wouldn't depend on it." Akemi made a dismissive motion with her hand as she talked. "As you are now you wouldn't come close to overheating a fire dragon. Even when two dragons of the same element fight they only rely on that tactic if one of them has significantly more power than the other." The raven-haired assassin glanced towards the stall owner, wondering if maybe they were encroaching upon a topic that she didn't want strangers to overhear. She highly doubted that Yazuki was going to go forth and slay a dragon, but information hygiene dictated that if someone didn't need to know something you didn't tell them. "...I'll explain how one fights a dragon of their own element in more detail later."

Her eyes went to Nymara's latest bowl. Unlike herself the redhead was still eating, and while Akemi didn't mind she did wonder how long it would take before her apprentice's hunger was sated. "But as you might have noticed, don't rely too much on making a dragon overeat."

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 30th August 2022, 1:27 pm

Nymara was likely getting ahead of herself as usual, though that never seemed to diminish her confidence! Not that anyone would be surprised if they knew her, as she was easily distracted from the world's hard realities. In this case, the young dragonslayer seemed to ignore or disregard the implied difficulty of the task ahead, instead keeping the mindset that it had already been completed. That was until the twilight dragon reminded her of that fact and her fire died down ever so slightly "O- Oh yeah, right! Still gotta find him first!" Nymara would say in an awkward attempt to try and hide her excitement but it wasn't very effective. Still, Nymara knew deep down that Akemi was right. No matter how promising the future looked right now with the assurance of her mentor's assistance she couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't going to be that cut and dry. At least she had hope now, and that was something the young fire slayer had been lacking for a long time.

When the subject turned back to the theory of the second dragon being involved, Nymara could only grumble in disappointment at Akemi's response. "Well I would've liked to be clued in on those reasons! What information is so harmful that I can't know?" Nymara would say with a spiteful tone, clearly projecting some of her confusion and irritation with Vulcanis' actions. Her food would quickly distract her, however, and the thoughts of malice passed while Akmei continued to speak on the matter. When she suggested that wildfire dragons were permanently on fire that caused her attention to pique once more! Slurping up the noodles in her mouth in a hurry so she could ask her next burning question! "ON fire, ALL the time??? HA! Sounds exhilarating! To feel that much burning power at all times... I can't even imagine how much you could destroy with that!" The girl would claim excitedly, daydreaming about wielding the same properties of the mysterious dragon that had yet to be even proven to exist. What if she could learn to do something similar? Ignite her entire body in scorching fire at will! If Akemi's theories were true about her own magic, who was to say she couldn't learn to? The possibilities were endless!

Nymara would continue to munch on her food while Akemi mused about changing Nymara's training so that she could adapt to fighting other fire entities. Nymara only stared at her with a curious glance while she continued slurping up the ramen, listening intently to what the twilight dragon was proposing. It was true that there were probably many creatures and beings out there resistant to the element of fire, yet so far Nymara hadn't encountered anyone outside the magma drake that enough explosive punches couldn't take out! "If they're resistant to fire then my flames are just getting cool! With enough heat, I can melt any defense!" Nymara would laugh, though she still figured Akemi was being serious on that matter so the firebrand would finish off her drink and speak again. "Though that does sound a bit annoying..." She mused aloud, contemplating hypothetical battle scenarios in her mind against fire-proof foes. Not that she had to think very hard, her own training with Vulcanis had taught her how difficult it could be. She had yet to encounter anything with his kind of power, though Nymara figured it was wise to follow in her mentor's footsteps and try and prepare yourself for anything.

Finishing off the last of her bowl while Akemi spoke about beings that used fire themselves instead of just resisting it, Nymara glanced over curiously. "I definitely know not to make that mistake again! Though it's always so tempting!" the firebrand would gleam on the subject of overheating. She supposed if Akemi was a dragonslayer she likely would have had a similar experience to her own element. Of course, Nymara couldn't know if that was true, though judging by how Akemi spoke about the experience Nymara could guess the twilight dragon knew what she was talking about. She brought up a good point as well. Fighting another dragon of fire may be more difficult than Nymara had initially imagined especially when the subject of her overheating was brought up. Something that sent a shiver down her spine just thinking about feeling that horrible sensation of her insides boiling! Akemi was quick to voice her opinion on Nymara's chances as well, and they painted a grim picture. "Well, we always have something to work towards!" She'd say with a confident smirk towards Akemi. "You can teach me how to kick their ass no problem!" the firebrand proclaimed with a hopeful tone before letting out a large burp!

The redhead would let out a large yawn afterward before outstretching her arms. "Thanks for the meal Yazuki! Let's do it again sometime!" She'd lean over the bar and yell to the chef's back while he diligently cooked in the kitchen. The firebrand would only get a thumbs up in response from the ramen chef before she snorted and leaned back on her stool. "Y- You got jewel, right?" Nymara would ask, suddenly remembering their conversation beforehand and how the firebrand was a little light on cash at the moment.

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 17th December 2022, 9:36 am

Akemi blinked as Nymara complained about not having been told whatever reasons Vulcanis might have had to not tell her about the wildfire dragon that may have been involved in the firebrand's upbringing. Maybe she shouldn't be surprised by it, but it did mean that at some point she'd have to explain the importance of information hygiene. "We won't know until we find him. Given that you were a child at the time, and I'm an outsider in this scenario, neither of us has a good grasp on how complicated the situation might have been."

Fortunately, Nymara was distracted by the food so they could move on from that topic. The raven-haired assassin rubbed her forehead as she imagined what it would be like to teach her apprentice about information hygiene. It was a topic many people had difficulty with, which usually worked in her favour but in this case, would probably give her a headache.

The topic of fire dragons who were perpetually emitting fire was much safer, although Akemi didn't share Nymara's inevitable enthusiasm. "It would serve as a display of their elemental power, yes, but it's also incredibly unsubtle." She idly clicked together the chopsticks she'd been using to eat her own noodles. "If your goal is to make everyone acknowledge your might it's worth looking into, but I can't teach you much about that." While Akemi wasn't exactly afraid to utilise her own considerable abilities when necessary she'd long ago decided to take a more hidden approach. The easiest way to deal with problems was to not invite trouble by antagonising others.

And then, of course, there was the topic of Nymara needing to learn how to deal with adversaries that were either resistant or immune to fire and heat. Akemi shot her a blank stare when her apprentice so confidently declared that she just needed to raise the heat of her flames to beat those kinds of enemies. "It's not always a matter of power. Some entities won't burn no matter how hot your flames are. Besides, it's not as efficient as learning another skill which lets you avoid the issue entirely. You're already good in a fight, so if we want to prepare you for facing off against a fire dragon we'd have to focus on your physical skills." So far she hadn't seen Nymara bother with any kind of weapon, so it'd probably be martial arts. "Slayer magic combines well with physical combat, so it's a good idea to raise both anyway."

At least she didn't have to worry about motivation: true to her element and her fiery hair, Nymara's enthusiasm never seemed to flag or waver. The assassin only really had to worry about steering her apprentice in the right direction, and the firebrand's own passion would drive her forward once she was on the right track. "Always something to work towards?" Akemi actually smiled at that one. "Well, you're not wrong, although not everyone would agree. If you keep working hard it shouldn't take long before you'll at least be able to hold your ground against a dragon."

With both of them having finished the meal it looked like it was time to leave the ramen stand behind. Akemi didn't bother to thank the man for the meal, but she nodded as her apprentice suddenly asked her if she was willing to pay for all the bowls the two of them had consumed in a rather sheepish manner. "Yes, yes, I'll pay for the food." Given that she was the mentor and Nymara the apprentice she figured that was just the way things worked. Especially since Nymara had managed to get through the day without causing any trouble.

A glance outside made it clear that it was getting late. "It's about time we head back for the guild." Paying for the food would only take a moment, and Yazuki seemed to be happy to see them go. Unsurprisingly, given that Nymara had caused him grief before and Akemi... well, she just didn't get along with people.

With the food paid for she left the ramen shop, expecting Nymara to already be waiting outside. "Since it's already late let's do this the fast way. Don't move." Walking around Nymara Akemi stood in the firebrand's shadow, and then grabbed her apprentice by the shoulder. Their combined shadows darkened and rose up, quickly covering the two of them before disappearing, Akemi's shadow magic transporting them back to the guild almost instantly.

Current Appearance:

@Nymara

Character|Magic

Current date/time is 17th May 2024, 4:01 am